I'm really trying to get better at tutorial writing. What always gets me is the photos along the way. I don't have a friendly helper that snaps gorgeous photos along the way. I have to actually set up my tripod, put on the timer and run. It gets kind of difficult when I'm trying to get a project done and yes, I do forget to document a step along the way here and there. Sorry in advance. And the photos are a little off and dark since the only space I had to take the photos was in our basement on the wrestling mat.
When I decided that I wanted to make our daughter a massive headboard, I originally wanted a curved and stepped down design. But with my decision to actually try individual brass upholstery nails instead of a nail trim kit, I chickened out. Yup, it's the honest truth. I wanted to start somewhat simpler.
If I wouldn't have chickened out then the headboard would have had a shape similar to this:
|Jonathan Adler for JCP|
I doubled up the shape similar to her tutorial but after that I did some different things.
So here is what I did:
I bought MDF board from Lowes and had them cut it down to 64" wide. I kept the heighth which is 49". I used the rest of the MDF board to double up the shape of the headboard.
I glued the MDF scraps to the perimeter of the large MDF piece with liquid nails and then drew the corner curves to it. After that I cut out the corner round shapes. And I have to admit that the hubby had to help for that step because it took a lot of strength to cut through the 2 thick layers of MDF layers with the jig saw.
This is what it looked like after these steps:
For the legs of the of headboard I used 2x4s which I also doubled up. I off set the taller back layer of the legs though so they wouldn't be visible from the sides as you can see in the photos.
One shorter piece of 2x4 is there to support the weight under the headboard and the taller 2x4 is offset behind it to stabilize the construction. I attached them all with liquid nails and screws.
After that I cut and glued the foam to the front of the MDF with spray adhesive. I was lucky enough to have some 2" foam left in our attic and I only had to buy half of the amount needed. This is where I missed a photo step. Must have been my sticky hands! I left a 1.5" gap between the foam and the edge of the MDF so I could have room for my upholstery nails.
After that I wrapped the headboard and legs in batting and stapled it to the back:
The next step was the fabric. I decided to use a set of Ikea Sanela curtains for my headboard and tailored bedskirt (I will explain that later) you can't beat the price of $40 for the quality of the fabric. And the amount worked out perfectly. I only had small scarps left at the end.
I bought this Bostitch electric stapler for $30 at Lowes just for this purpose and I was pretty happy with it. I have a heavy duty air compressor stapler that was way to loud to use inside for this longer amound of time and had I used my hand stapler, I'm sure I would have sported numerous blisters.
The transitions between the headboard and legs were solved with cardboard upholstery Upholstery Tack Strip . This works really really well. You put down the fabric, lay the cardboard Upholstery Tack Strip down over it, staple it all in place (arrow 1) and then fold the fabric over (arrow 2)
|This is just demonstrated on a smaller piece of fabric in a better lighting situation.|
(Not an actual part of the headboard)
After that it was time for the upholstery nails and I'm so glad that I went with the larger individual brass nails. I like the tight and neat look they give the edge. it's not lumpy the way it sometimes looks with the nail kits. My trick to this application was this little tool, a Quick Nailer Spacer :
I put the nails into the spacers of the tool, tapped them deeper in place with the mallet and then removed the spacer and finished hammering them all the way in with the mallet. That's it! It really wasn't that hard. I just needed a couple of practice runs.
This is why I left the 1.5" gap between the edge of the MDF and the foam, so I would have room for the nails.
My last and final step was to use another layer of cardboard tack strip and fabric along the edge of the MDF that was stapled to the back of the headboard to give it a tailored, professional and finished look. At least that's what I went for. You be the judge of the finished product ;)
So this is how I made the headboard. And I almost didn't get it up the stairs with a friend, that's how huge it is. Looking back, I think I could have totally handled the Jonathan Adler headboard shape. The hardest part of making this headboard was lifting and turning it around during the process. My back was killing me.
Here is the list of items and tools that I used:
• liquid nails
• MDF board
• 2" upholstery foam
• fabric (1 set of Ikea Sanela fabric for $40)
• spray adhesive
• two 2x4s
• 1/2" Cardboard Upholstery Tack Strip
The room's paint color is Behr W-B-100 Billowy Clouds by the way and the comforter set is the Emmie Ruta set from Ikea. I really really love it.
Back to the bed skirt. I actually sewed panels and attached them (just like last time) with velcro. The one side of the velcro strip is hot glued to her box spring. This eliminates having to remove a mattress to be able to wash the bed skirt. It's seriously so much easier.
What a long post and lots of work but I think it was worth it. I had sold my daughter's previous bedroom items on Craigslist and used that money to redo her room. I ended up staying pretty much within budget.
Talk to you on Friday.
UPDATE: Come see what the room looks like now by clicking HERE.