Wednesday, February 5, 2014

My Wall Vinyl Secrets and Ideas

Anybody sick of the weather yet? For us it has been lots and lots of snow and I have to admit that I'm probably one of those freaks that enjoy the snow. I love to go skiing and can do that in abundance. Unfortunately right now it's only once or twice a week but better than nothing.
And I love being in our own little bubble on snow-stormy days because I have a great excuse to cancel everything ;)

I have received a large amount of emails regarding questions about my cross wall hallway makeover. Requests to share how I did it! While this might not be a great decision for my Etsy store (I suck at business decisions I guess), I decided to share with you what I use for decals exactly.
One lovely reader reminded me that DIY blogs are about sharing. And in a way that's true, right?

So I thought that before I share my own decal project, I'd show you some other ideas that I came across.

Last week Emily from "Everything Emily Blog" posted her washi tape cross wall which is also a genius idea:

{Source: Everything Emily Blog}
Head on over to her blog to see how she created this stunning wall treatment only with washi tape. And please only pin this image from her blog and not mine, ok?

Or if you'd rather paint it and don't want to be too exact, then you can also create something like this:

{Source: Pinterest}
Also pretty cool, right?

And if you missed my wall makeover, click HERE for the hallway and HERE for the closet.





Back to my crosses which are a lot bigger and involve a cutting machine (plotter, like the Silhouette Cameo) and wall grade vinyl.

A lot of people ask what kind of wall vinyl I use and I use Oracal631 which you can buy at USCutter.

I create my patterns in Adobe Illustrator especially the more complex ones like my litter box decal (click HERE). All the other more simple shapes are easily created in the Silhoutte program itself.

The machine does it all for you.

So my vinyl secret is out. Which one of the projects do you think you would/could tackle?

The washi tape, painted or silhouette cut crosses?



Or would you prefer to buy them? Because I have added them to my Etsy shop and you can see them buy clicking HERE.

Tschüß

(Youleeya)



You can also enter your email address below 
to hear more from me!
(but don't forget to verify the subscription by clicking on the link in the verification email 
which might have landed in your spam folder)



Delivered by FeedBurner

35 comments :

  1. I love your creativity and these ideas! Thanks for sharing Julia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still so in love with your makeover. I do like the hand-painted one as well...I actually am in the process of something like that (not crosses), but it's totally failing right now! Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love how your projects came out. Like really, really love! The washi tape project looks great, too. I'll have to check out that blog. :)

    Angela @ Number Fifty-Three

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I don't have a fancy machine so you know your my girl ;) That is going to look so cool in the play room! I'm excited! Oh, and the washi tape one is pretty smart! xo Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have a Silhouette! I think lots of people are in that same boat, so I bet your Etsy shop will stay in business :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. another sadly silhouetteless person here! So buying them works for me (I've looked at your shop, and your prices are so reasonable that it's hard to resist anyway)....I do love those painted crosses, too, though--very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love them all! I really need to get a Silhouette some day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i would just buy them LOL you price them out right and measuring where to put them would be enough DIY for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing! I haven't won a Silhouette yet (I'm determined to win and not buy one!) but I love the look and ease of the vinyl cutouts. Keeping an eye on your shop ; ]

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really do love this look Julia! SO sexy! I always seem to crave cheese fondue when I look at your gorgeous wall. :-) Hugs, Amy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love all of these options! Such a creative way to spice up all that wall space.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing your secrets! I don't have a Silhouette (yet!) so I'd definitely need to buy some decals since I don't have the patience to measure a full wall of crosses out haha

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't tried that brand yet, but need to. I really want to get some copper! Love the idea of using washi tape too, so smart!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Julia-
    Have you ever used an overhead projector type device to paint collages on walls or anything else? My Mom got one for me, and I really want to use it. I've had it for 3 years, and still nothing :(. Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I actually have and it's fun. You could do a gigantic paint by numbers type mural. I have been actually wanting to do that. I have an entire Pinterest board dedicated to it:
      http://www.pinterest.com/jakonya/cuckoo-4-painting-by-numbers/

      And Mandi from VR did something similar for her daughter's room:
      http://www.vintagerevivals.com/2013/05/diy-corkboard-wall-mural-bulldog-style.html

      Delete
    2. Oh wow, both ideas are awesome! Now I'll be up all night thinking about this lol...

      Delete
  15. Love all your Swiss cross ideas. I am so inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love these ideas…I would probably just buy them!

    ReplyDelete
  17. No Silhouette here either, and I love all the looks you clever girls came up with! Your litter box sign is my favorite!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love all of those and you know I'm a huge fan of simple black and white!! I love your decals and it takes the work out of hand painting of stenciling which are both much harder than they look!! Thanks for sharing the other ideas. I love the freehand one but that's one of those like when you see abstract art and say "I could do that" LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, you've even decorated your closet! Love the wall decals. They look so good and are easy too, love that!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What do you do to get your decals to line up perfectly and be so evenly spaced!?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for sharing all these ideas. Love your hallway!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm seriously pondering doing the crosses in our powder room because the less than perfection stenciling job I did drives me batty.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm still totally obsessd with your hallway and closet makeover. Stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love your hall and the no commitment of decals! The washi tape looks great - just difficult to remove cleanly.
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  25. These are great wall treatments! Seriously amazing!! Swoon.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am sure I will be saying your black wall........... yet to be seen, but I bet that is what I will say!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oooh I really dig the painted crosses. How stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I could do the washi tape ones. Or just buy yours and stick them up on the wall. Truly love your transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I think that sharing is wonderful! Yes, I do have a Silhouette, but it's still a lot of work to cut all those crosses ( not to mention the cost of the vinyl) so sharing your secret does not hurt your Etsy shop at all!

    ReplyDelete
  30. ;) thanks! Cutting all the crosses wasn't bad at all actually!

    ReplyDelete

  31. Your writers have capability to make understand the users, great stuff you have provided to us.

    Read More about My Antiageing Secrets

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments!
Don't hesitate to share your thoughts, I love to hear your from you.
If you are having problems leaving a comment please let me know per email, or leave a comment on my Facebook page.

If you are wondering why I sometimes don't reply to every comment, well it is because if you aren't a no-reply profile then I will email you back instead of replying to your comment on my page!