Friday, May 10, 2013

Midcentury modern dresser makeover

Hi friends, I'm so so excited about this furniture makeover today and I know that mid-century modern furniture isn't everyone's cup of tea but I have been searching for an opportunity to get my hands on an affordable dresser that I could redo and KEEP.

I shared on Instagram the dresser and nightstand that I found on Craigslist and here they are again and it is the original listing's photo (if you want to see the nightstand makeover, click HERE):

Stanley midcentury modern dresser
They were listed at $100 but the hubby talked them down to $70. YAY! I knew he could do it!
You can't see it in the photo but they weren't in the best shape. Not bad but they needed work. The veneer was chipping in several places and there were scratches and dents everywhere.

Stanley midcentury dresser makeover

I know the wood tone is beautiful but I'm not a professional wood worker and you can't tell by the photos but it needed work. You also know me and I was itching to paint it.

I received a big compressor and paint guns for Christmas from my hubby and I was waiting for the weather to get warm so I could finally try it out in the garage. I hadn't even opened the compressor box since Christmas.

Here is my Instagram photo of the guns:

Lowes paint gun

I patched the scratches, dents and chips. Lightly sanded the dresser. Wiped it with TSP and taped it where I wanted to paint it. Then I started with the owner's manual. God I swear they make this difficult.

And when I finally got to the compressor part I noticed that the owner's manual and screws where missing. I also couldn't hook up the paint gun hose to the compressor. So back I went to Lowes where I got my items. When I tried to hook everything up, my neighbor showed me that the compressor had previously been used and when he opened the pressure/air on the bottom, a huge amount of rusty water came out. GREAT isn't it? I was so upset. I should have opened the box right at Christmas. This is so frustrating and I have no clue what to do.

Anyways, I tried spraying with my smaller compressor which didn't work out so well, so I went back to the good old regular paint method. I started with Kilz spray primer (I don't think I will ever use anything else) and then I ended up hand rolling the rest with my favorite white semi-gloss Rustoleum enamel.

I wanted to Rub 'N Buff the hardware since not all of it was brass but cheap metal but that didn't work out so well either. So I spray painted the small knobs and painted the rest in a bright pink neon. Yeah baby!!! I did and I love it. With a simple small change I can change that detail if I want to. I was thinking of adding coral, emerald, mint or turquoise but then decided the neon.

Enough talking, right? You want to see it!
Here it is:

midcentury dresser makeover by cuckoo4design in brass, white and neon pink

before and after of midcentury dresser in white, pink, brass and neon pink

before and after of midcentury dresser in white, pink, brass and neon pink

brass butterfly and succulent vingette

before and after of midcentury dresser in white, pink, brass and neon pink

Stanley midcentury dresser in white, pink, brass and neon pink

midcentury dresser makeover with gold, white and neon pink


So what do you think. Do you like it?
I'm in love with it.

I still have the matching bedside table which my son wants to keep in his room (click HERE to see the makeover), so I will be painting it soon too. He likes this one and wants something similar but obviously not with pink.


I wish you all a great weekend and "Happy Mother's Day". Talk to you on Monday!

Tschüß

(Youleeya)



You can also enter your email address below 
to hear more from me!
(but don't forget to verify the subscription by clicking on the link in the verification email 
which might have landed in your spam folder)



Delivered by FeedBurner

58 comments :

  1. Love this! And how you left the wood trim. I never would have thought of that, but it makes the whole piece pop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! I love! You have such an exceptional eye for detail;) Reminds me of a piece I saw at West Elm but more fun! xo Kristin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristin and Happy Momma's Day!

      Delete
  3. I love it Julia!!! I love how you did it all white but left the outside trim of the drawers a stain color.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my! Love love love it! Plus, what a complete steal!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful job, Julia! Leaving the bottom stained to give the impression of a base was genius!

    ReplyDelete
  6. In general I am on the fence about painting wood furniture, but this is cool, cool, cool. My favorite part is the pop of color in the handle. Love it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and I totally agree. Sometimes wood should be left alone ;)

      Delete
  7. Ack! I love the neon pink with the gold (and the wood and the white...)! And who doesn't love mid-century modern furniture...crazy peeps...that's who!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, right...they are crazy for not liking midcentury modern furniture.
      Thanks so much.

      Delete
  8. Ummmm YES FREAKIN MA'AM. White...neon...gold...MCM..Julia you are speaking my furniture love language in a major way! I loooooooove it. I've been searching and searching for a MCM piece for my front room forever. I'm crossing my fingers that ill find one soon. I'm itching to do a two tone pair project, too. Great job lady. Oh and I would take the compressor back to Lowes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shavonda. I have been trying to get my hubby to return the thing. But of course he lost the receipt and never activated his Lowes car. Such a bummer.
      I hope you find your own MCM dresser because I sure would love to see what you'll end up doing with it.
      Thanks so much for the kind words, I appreciate it so much!

      Delete
  9. Awesome project Julia! We love to see something old become new again! We are happy to hear that you had success with KILZ spray primer and that you don't think you will ever use anything else. If you ever have any questions about our products, please visit our Facebook page at facebook.com/KILZBrand. Also, we would love for you to share your experience with our products by writing a review. Here is the link to our review page: bddy.me/YQS31I.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you stopped in and I did go over to your facebook page!

      Delete
  10. Lovely! Great two tone and the gold/neon hardware is perfection. Great makeover!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooo me likey!! I love the gold and pink accents and that you kept the band of wood around it. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's fabulous! Love it!
    So chic and you are sooooooooooo good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Patty, you are so sweet!

      Delete
  13. Wow, it's beautiful! You did such a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh! WOW! so beautiful Julia! love, love the neon pink! love the details, the gold, the wood trim; everything! :-) you did a great job with this! & what a great deal only $70 YAY! :-) I'm working on a small side table now and after I finished sanding it can't decide on what colors to go with! Lucky you! I would've love rcv a compressor and spray gun as gift! :-) Wish you a happy Mother's day weekend and hope you will have a great time with your family! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ingrid! Are you going to post your side table? Can't wait to see it.

      Delete
  15. WOW! you totally knocked it out of the park, friend! LOVE it!!!! so chic!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amazing transformation! The finish looks so flawless! I'm so glad that you left a few wood accents, it adds so much interest and character. And, when I was a little girl I had a brass butterfly music box just like that! Hmmm, wonder if that's still lurking at my Mom's house...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Did it play "swan lake" like mine? I love this one!

      Delete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOVE the white and I love your faux taxidermy above the dresser! Jenna @ Rain on a Tin Roof

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful work! Does your roller leave any sponge marks, it looks so smooth.

    ReplyDelete
  20. love love love it, fabulous as always! have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Holy smoly! Dang that looks great! I sure don't have your vision. It is so gorgeous now. And I would have never taken a second look at it before you did your magic to it.

    Good job!

    Happy Mother's Day To You & All.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow! I wouldn't have thought, that the original hardware would look so great - I usually take the other way and replace all knobs… maybe I should think about it again!
    And I love the way of only painting some of the dresser - I had a wardrobe, painted in a similar way… which is still at my parents home and will probably never be anywhere else ;)

    Love, Midsommarflicka

    ReplyDelete
  23. Mid century modern isn't really my thing...however...I really love what you did with this! The combo of white and wood is really pretty and those gold knobs and red accents are great and really eye-catching. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh wow! Love it! I love where you chose to leave the wood. It looks perfect in its new home!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Julia...it is so much fun and the pop of pink is the best part!!! Makes it so unique! You did an amazing job!!! The broken spray gun was apparently supposed to happen because this piece is fantastic! ;) Jesse @ Scout & Nimble

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am seriously in love with this dresser! Your color choices were spot on, Julia. (Crushing on the perfectly pink handles!) Such a fabulous piece!

    ReplyDelete
  27. WoW!! I am always drawn to mid century furniture! You did an AMAZING job on this!! Thank you for sharing at Give Me The Goods!
    Dimples & Pig Tales

    ReplyDelete
  28. I wanted to stop in and let you know that you were my pick for features this week! Come by my blog and grab your button! Congrats!!!
    Dimples & Pig Tales

    ReplyDelete
  29. Fantastic as always! Makes me kinda sad that I don't come up with these fabulous ideas myself. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  30. This makeover is a slam dunk!! I'm in love with it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. What gold spray paint do you love and suggest. The one I have now is too coppery. I need a true GOLD color and your drawer pulls look awesome! Thanks! So glad I stumble upon you on Instagram! -ecs24au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I use the rustoleum gold or rub n buff gold. On this nightstand the handles are actually real brass and were not painted but the bottom of the nightstand was painted with the rustoleum gold. Also my friend Brittany from brittanymakes has a great gold spray paint review here: http://www.brittanymakes.com/2013/04/03/finding-the-perfect-gold-spray-paint/
      I hope that helps :)

      Delete
  32. I'm playing catch up! Love what you did with these!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Julia, love the Stanley makeovers:). With respect to the nightstand, if you are using spray paint, how do you manage to isolate the tiny spots and blue trim for instance? Are you hand painting it?

    Thanks so much, I am new to your blog and if you have any other more in depth tutorials on how you arrived at the finished product, this would be of great help to me.

    Love your style, and your eye for a piece's inevitable future is dynamite!!!!

    Melissa :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. I am new to your blog (ok, to the blogging world in general) and I've read dozens of your posts in the past two days! I think you're clever and creative and witty and cute. And TALENTED!! I love your style. All that to say, can you please help me? I love the grey walls in your pics and I'd love to know what they are. Choosing a grey, so I've heard, is so hard! And I haven't even attempted it yet but need to.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Sorry, blogger always acts up on my phone and won't let me finish up. Anyway, I love your painted dresser. Unreal cute with the knobs and everything! And I'm gonna try your Kilz spray primer. Thx for the tip. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you so much. Comments like yours make my day. Nice to meet you.
      Here are the names and numbers of my colors which are both in eggshell:
      In my living room: Seashell Gray 4003-1A by Valspar
      In my dining room, kitchen and bedroom: Rocky Bluffs 4003-1C by Valspar
      The backwall in my kitchen is actually a silver by Ralph Lauren which they stopped selling at Home Depot.
      Hope that helps.

      Delete
  36. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  37. This is fabulous, just beautiful!! And looks great in your room--I love those heads!

    ReplyDelete
  38. seriously, this is amazing! Just clicked over here from Apartment Therapy and am now excited to read your site. I'm dying to do this to a navy blue dresser we have in our entryway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the sweet words and coming over to let me know. Some of the comments weren't so nice on Apartment Therapy. I'm glad you like it!

      Delete

Thank you so much for your comments!
Don't hesitate to share your thoughts, I love to hear your from you.
If you are having problems leaving a comment please let me know per email, or leave a comment on my Facebook page.

If you are wondering why I sometimes don't reply to every comment, well it is because if you aren't a no-reply profile then I will email you back instead of replying to your comment on my page!