Monday, February 18, 2013

Customizing your medicine cabinet

Do you feel like time flies? I do and another weekend went by in the blink of an eye.

I got a little benched with a strong head cold over the weekend. I feel like my head is stuffed with cotton and I have NO energy, ugh!
But I managed to drag myself in the powder room to get a couple of things accomplished which I will share with you after the following mini-makover.

I mentioned on Friday that I was working on a small project that involved diagonal stripes. I decided to give our medicine cabinet a little overhaul. It was never my favorite piece but we really need the storage. So I moved the cabinet outside (we had some warmer weather last week) and sprayed it with a fresh coat of white. You have no idea how happy a fresh coat of white makes me. "So fresh and so clean, clean...." (Outkast)

And then I thought booooring, I need a tiny change.

So I removed the back of the shelving, taped it off, sprayed it with some gold, removed the tape, let it dry and reattached it. Simple as that! It really was that sporadic and quick. Otherwise I would have taken pictures along the way.








painted gold diagonal stripes



Isn't it so much better now? I love it!

Now back to the rest of the powder room.
I accomplished to prime over my kids sharpie drawings and to put 2 coats of eggshell white onto the walls. I also painted a fresh coat of glossy white on the base and crown molding. It's such a beautiful blank canvas now.

In addition to that I replaced all the old, yucky tan outlets with new white ones. Boy what a difference that makes.

Not bad for someone that has a bad cold, right? I'm proud of myself.

I also noticed that the craigslist mirror (click here) which I wanted to hang over the vanity will probably not work as intended since I would have to cut off some of the embellishments on the upper right side to make it fit width wise, which I don't want to do. This really frustrates me since I was thrilled about using it in the powder room. It'll stay where it is hanging right now.

I have not made a decision on the walls yet either.
{update: You want to see the finished room? 
Then click HERE to see it}

Lets see what I'll decide to do about the mirror and wall situation.

Talk to you all on Wednesday and have a wonderful day.

Guten Tag und Tschüss,

Youleeya :)








20 comments :

  1. Wow, you got a lot accomplished for being sick! We are fighting head colds over here too...I love the way the cabinet turned out, you can't go wrong with gold and stripes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was trying to fight the cold really hard and I still am LOL and thanks

      Delete
  2. Love all the gold you are incorporating into your space! I hope you feel better soon! xo Kristin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and I hope your little man feels better soon too.

      Delete
  3. Love the gold!

    Maybe try searching Craigslist for "syroco"? I've noticed that a lot of the cool-looking vintage mirrors are made by them (it stands for Syracuse Ornamental Co.) You might find another reasonably-priced mirror that will fit in your space!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip, I might have found something today already but I had a little accident with it :(

      Delete
  4. Sorry to hear about the bug, get yourself feeling better asap. Love the new stripes, and was so happy to hear you took the back off and spray painted, I was trying to imagine you doing those suckers by hand in those little areas and it seamed dreadful. The final product is terrific. Sorry you've decided to forgo the mirror, I am sure you'll find another that wows you even more. Get some rest and feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christina, I have a mirror obsession and am loving that I can add to my hoard ;)

      Delete
  5. Love the stripes. It looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Julia, looks great as usual. Sometimes I think we were separated at birth... we have such similar tastes. Love looking at all of your projects!

    Smiles!
    Sammy ~ Renew Redo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sammy and I think we do too, sista!

      Delete
  7. I love it! And I'm so jealous you've had weather warm enough to spray paint! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks but we are back in the 20s now again. Time for more skiing and that's totally fine with me :)

      Delete
  8. The vanity looks so darling, love what you did by adding those stripes cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the unique diagonal stripes, Julia! You knocked out a lot for low energy, girl! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments!
Don't hesitate to share your thoughts, I love to hear your from you.
If you are having problems leaving a comment please let me know per email, or leave a comment on my Facebook page.

If you are wondering why I sometimes don't reply to every comment, well it is because if you aren't a no-reply profile then I will email you back instead of replying to your comment on my page!