Monday, November 5, 2012

DIY Piero Fornasetti Plates

How was your weekend? I can't believe how cold it is already and it feels like snow is in the air with another storm on the horizon. We were freezing our butts off at soccer on Saturday.
My mom is leaving tomorrow and I hate to even talk about it. I'm just way to far away from my family. It feels like it gets harder not easier every year.

I still found the time to spend on a small project (even with my mom around) which I'm so excited about. If you follow me on Pinterest then you might have noticed already my Piero Fornasetti obsession.
I really love Piero Fornasetti's designs. So much inspiration.

Piero Fornasetti designs
image via fashionclassandjetlag


I'm sure you have seen the theme and variations (Terma e Variazion) plates by Piero Fornasetti. You can see some of them in the image above.

I'm infatuated with those plates and Lina Cavalieri's face. Her classic beauty inspired Fornasetti and she reminds me of my grandmother.

 Lina Cavalieri

 Lina Cavalieri

 theme and variations (Terma e Variazion) plates by Piero Fornasetti
Aren't they fun? You know that I love silly things around the house here and there.


You can buy the plates at Unica Home for $195. I don't have to tell you that it's just not within my budget to buy plates for $195 each, right?

I was thrilled when I found and purchased these Fornasetti inspired tile stickers from the German version of Etsy for 10.50 Euros. Since I don't have tiles in the kitchen or bathroom walls, I wanted to use them for something else.

{I know from several of my readers that they were able to buy the stickers and have them shipped to the US, just contact the shop. The shipping isn't expensive for these light weight stickers!}

 Lina Cavalieri stickers

I thought about putting them in a frame and hanging them, but I changed my mind when I found some plain white plates at Target for $3.99 each. I cut out the circle images and pasted them on the inside diameter of each plate.

To hang them I bought plate hanger discs (click HERE) which you can see on the picture below. I can't stand the look of the metal contraptions that go around a plate to hang them.

plate hanger disc


I know that there are many people who despise people like me who make cheap imitations from expensive designer pieces. But you know what? I don't care. It's not in my budget, I love the original and wish I could have it but it's not going to happen. Bottom line!


DIY Piero Fornasetti plates

DIY Piero Fornasetti plates with stickers

DIY Piero Fornasetti plates with stickers

DIY Piero Fornasetti plates with stickers


DIY Piero Fornasetti plates with stickers
How do you like the gold sea urchin? It's from the Nate Berkus line at Target.
DIY Piero Fornasetti plates with stickers

DIY Piero Fornasetti plates with stickers



Update check out where they are hanging now by clicking HERE:





I like my plates with the white border. The originals are completely filled with the image.

So what do you think? Cheesy or Cool? And I won't be mad if you tell me the truth... I can handle it, but I will still like them no matter what you say, haha! (Y'all know I love your comments!)

Talk to you on Wednesday und guten Tag.


Tschüß









You can also enter your email address below 
to hear more from me!
(but don't forget to verify the subscription by clicking on the link in the verification email 
which might have landed in your spam folder)



Delivered by FeedBurner

43 comments :

  1. Julia, You are brilliant! I love love love this look and it soooooo fits your style!
    Thanks for the creative juices this morning.
    Wendy
    www.sawdustandpaint.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so creative! I love them! I'm with you, $195 is way too much for a single plate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Besides, you didn't steal the design and started selling them... you just reproduced what you liked in a more simple and cheap way.
      If you are intelligent and you have time... why not doing them at your own budget!?

      It looks great! Congrats!
      Amelia

      Delete
  3. I think it looks really GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julia, you are so inspirational - and your Fornasetti vignette is uber COOL!! Have you lacquered the stickers, or is it not really a requirement? Keep surprising us with your quirky, workable fun! heather x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and NO I didn't have to lacquer them. Very easy!

      Delete
  5. Hi Julia, nice to meet you! I've discovered your blog via Censational girl! I'm finding lots of inspiration here :)
    I'll come back :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ;) Thank you, I'd love to have you back!

      Delete
  6. I don't like the expensive originals at all, but YOURS are amazing! I agree with you that the white border of the plates is awesome and I prefer the images too. I love how you have used them on your walls. You are so gifted...and show superior intelligence to not spend that ridiculous amount on the originals! This is not a style I would have gone for, but you have opened me up to it by your excellent adaptations and use. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your plates! Doing things yourself is the American Way!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely COOL!!! I believe in achieving "the look" one loves at the lowest possible cost. Especially because so many housewares are enormously over-priced. You have achieved (and improved on)the decorative effect of the originals at a fraction of the cost. No one visiting your home will turn over the plates to see if they're "genuine," & if they did, would they be friends whose respect you valued? I'll pay more when function & durability are involved as in buying a sofa, but decorative plates from Target will hang on the wall just as well as ones made by Wedgwood. I admire your ability to create a beautiful, personalized decor on a budget
    which is a special talent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. You are right, but my friends wouldn't do that anyway!

      Delete
  9. These look wonderful! I love how you found a way to get the look for SO much less!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I have been admiring those plates myself and wondering how I might go about DIYing them. These turned out lovely. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I share your love of Fornasetti but don't have the budget either! I clicked on your link to the website for the stickers but, alas, it is in German, which I do not understand! Did they ship it to you in the US?

    thanks,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I had my brother buy them for me and I took them home with me when I was there this summer. But I'm sure if you'd write to them, they'd ship it. Almost everybody speaks English in Germany. Shipping won't be a lot since the stickers don't weigh much.

      Delete
    2. If you use google it will translate the page for you. It states they will ship to other countries for 3.40 euros.

      Delete
  12. These are perfect! I LIKE the fact that they don't cost a jillion dollars. That would just be wrong! I'm going to try to buy some of those stickers - have the website open now! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love a good knock off WAY more than an expensive original! LOVE!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is awesome! Looks like something out of a magazine;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. The look is stunning. I will look for these kind of tile stickers and peruse the different categories, (not just Fornasetti, whose art I love). As Oprah says, "opinions are like butts, we all have one." I love your blog with all of the DIY, especially the cat enclosures to keep the precious little hearts safe whilst they are enjoying being outside.
    Thank you for your beautiful blog.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What size are these plates? I don't see the plates on Target's website.
    Nice job and thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They probably don't have the same anymore. These are regular dessert plates

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the quick response.

      Delete
  17. Great DIY! it's true that Fornasetti plates are beautiful but too expensive...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Absolutely brilliant. What's the point of being creative if you're not using it to save some bucks, right? I think that going and buying original stuff are for those who aren't as creative as you (although I do make an exception for art and this in borderline art, but still) Love your blog by the way. Wish my home would look like yours and not like a constant work in progress with half-painted walls and dingy thriftfinds all over the place :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a brilliant idea. Thanks for sharing. Can you tell me if you used dinner (11.5") or salad (9.25") plates? I bought the stickers and disc hangers but couldn't figure out the plate size from the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm pretty sure they would be called the salad or dessert plates. What I did was take the cut out circles of the stickers to stores like Target and HomeGoods to see which plates they would fit best.
    Hope that helps and good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just found your blog - I LOVE your plates! You go, girl - I think you did outstanding on your budget - who cares that they weren't the real thing - they certainly look it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. just found you on Pinterest . . . BRILLIANT!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What is tacky about saving $935?? 195X5=975 minus 20 for stickers & 20 for plates.... GORGEOUS!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments!
Don't hesitate to share your thoughts, I love to hear your from you.
If you are having problems leaving a comment please let me know per email, or leave a comment on my Facebook page.

If you are wondering why I sometimes don't reply to every comment, well it is because if you aren't a no-reply profile then I will email you back instead of replying to your comment on my page!