Wednesday, June 6, 2012

I do get lucky sometimes!

A while back I found 2 mirrors for sale on Craigslist for $20. I love when I find two matching items. I'm a sucker for symmetry!
So when I drove to look at the mirrors, the guy told me "Ah, I don't want the money, just take them!"...
Really, who says that? Who doesn't want the money? I had the money in my hand already! Well, this just confirms that I do get lucky sometimes. And that day I considered myself VERY lucky.

free matching craigslist mirrors

 Hurray to people who don't want money on craigslist!


I love mirrors. I have them everywhere. And these two are heavy and beveled! I'm guessing they were once attached to a dresser since that's the hardware they had on the back.
I had no clue where I was going to put them and the hubby right away suggested I should paint them and sell them. No, no, no! I have a hard time parting with found treasures and I knew I had to keep these two beauties!

Since they were free I wanted to try some unexpected color. It's easier to get daring when you don't have to spend a lot of money. A can of spray paint is cheap enough.
My first thought was to paint them yellow and that's what I did.

yellow painted mirror


Boy was I wrong. I hated it! The room used to be blue and that might have had something to do with it!

Next day I painted them turquoise! First the turquoise was a little too bright for my taste but I didn't want to antique them either. Since they didn't have another shade that I liked I kept them this way and now I'm happy with it.

turquoise painted mirror


Oh I love, love, love them! And they fit perfectly flanking my big bedroom window! Don't you think so?

turquoise painted mirror

I'm thinking about making ombre curtains for my bedroom window. What do you think? Shades fading from turquoise to white! I think that would look really cool. I've been working on finding a way to do that, lets see!

turquoise mirrors flanking bedroom window and porcelain rhino head
Ombre, ombre, ombre??? And I want to find some more porcelain animal heads to keep my rhino ($13 at Ross) company!

turquoise mirrors flanking bedroom window
Not a good photo! It's hard to take pictures in this room! The lighting is off with this big window.

grey bedroom with turquoise accents and brown button tufted corduroy chaise

See the chaise in the above photo? Here's another close up! My cats have been doing a serious number on the corduroy fabric. Really not a good choice for cats with claws! So, I have been wondering if I am brave enough to attempt a reupholstering job myself. Looks very scary!

brown button tufted corduroy chaise


The hubby bought me two books about upholstery and I might attempt this job if we have a long, boring winter.

new upholstery and complete step-by-step upholstery
 Ugh! From "50 Shades of Grey" to upholstery books? Not really the pool side or beach novel I was looking for for this summer, LOL! But I need to study this subject a little more before attempting such a big job.
Does anybody out there have another upholstery book suggestion?

Thanks for stopping by fellow webbers und guten Tag!


Tschüß

(Youleeya)



You can also enter your email address below 
to hear more from me!
(but don't forget to verify the subscription by clicking on the link in the verification email 
which might have landed in your spam folder)



Delivered by FeedBurner


13 comments :

  1. Hello! I just bumped into your blog, and I love what you do with your home! Your walls with the white woodwork are an ideal combination. Would you mind sharing the shade of gray paint on the walls?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I don't mind at all. The paint is called Rocky Bluffs (4003-1C) from Lowes in eggshell. I also have it in my dining room and kitchen. The living room and hallway is actually from the same family just a couple of shades lighter called Seashell Gray (4003-1A).
      Hope that helps and thank you.

      Delete
  2. What colour paint did you use on your mirrors?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where did you get the chaise? It is the exact match to my sofa, and I have been looking everywhere for something like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry that I can't give you an answer. We got the chaise from a friend about 13 years ago and I have no clue where it was purchased.

      Delete
  4. Hi Julia! I scored a mirror today on craigslist what do you think i should do with it? How can i post pictures?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I'm so sorry that I'm getting this message now, it's hard to detect if it's anonymous sometimes. You can send me pictures if you want and if it's not to late.

      Delete
  5. How did you do the molding? I can't find a tutorial on your site, but I have a ceiling just like this and would love to copy you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kim, the molding was done pre-blogging times, so yes, I don't have a tutorial. It is standard chair-rail molding and it was really easy to install.

      Delete
  6. Hi ! I think you should put a white slipcover (with ruffled skirt) on your chaise! Easy to wash, too. You can sew one from drop cloths....or order one from Etsy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the tip. After just making a headboard for my daughter and reupholstering some other items, I think I'm soon ready to tackle this chaise. I really just want to try it, because I love seeing the buttons.

      Delete

Thank you so much for your comments!
Don't hesitate to share your thoughts, I love to hear your from you.
If you are having problems leaving a comment please let me know per email, or leave a comment on my Facebook page.

If you are wondering why I sometimes don't reply to every comment, well it is because if you aren't a no-reply profile then I will email you back instead of replying to your comment on my page!