Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Big ugly lamp love!

Two weeks ago I drove by the Salvation Army with my son and decided to stop in again.
While I was browsing the lamps, I got really excited when I spotted two matching and crazy ugly lamps.
I showed them to my son.
Me: "Look at these lamps, I want them!"
Son: "Oh, they are freakin ugly. They are the ugliest lamps I have ever seen!"
Me: "I love them."
Him: "You are not buying them, we have no room!"


pair of ugly 70s brass, painted glass and wood lamps

ugly brass, glass and wood lamps

So we left. That night I kept dreaming about the awesome ugly lamps and guess what? I went back the next day and THANK YOU they were still there.

I grabbed them and bolted to the register. I was so full of joy (I'm serious)! The lady at the register looked at me like I had two heads. And I giggled: "Aren't they so ugly?" 
She looked at me again and asked: "Well do you want them now or what?"
Me: "Well of course I do, how couldn't I?"

This is where I have to explain my lamp addiction which was I guess was passed down from my mother who has (and I made her count) 22 lamps in her house. She's had mostly the same lamps for the past 40 years but I like adding and moving them around. Lamps are expensive, so I can't argue with Salvation Army when they are selling ugly lamps for $8.

What I love about these two ugly lamps is that they have a great shape and are very big. I love big things (stop it, I know what you are thinking), I'm talking decor here.

They reminded me of Jonathan Adler lamps. I love him!

Jonathan Adler Trousdale Lamps

While I'm always drawn to painting things white (I guess it has to do with the effect that snow has on me. I just love it when the earth is covered in this clean, calm white), I had to try to at least change it up a little bit. And if you have checked out my blog before than you know that I'm also really in love with stripes.

So I taped and primed the lamps. I had some different shades of grey left and after some more taping, spray painting and these fabulous Target shades (I always buy shades when I see a great cheap pair at a store), this is what I came up with:


grey and white striped brass painted lamps
I don't know why the one shade looks beige in this picture, it is white like the other one.

painted brass lamp in grey, white and yellow stripes
The yellow stripe is actually a ribbon and that ribbon can be removed and changed whenever you want.
painted brass lamp with grey, white and pink stripes
Just to show you what it would look like with a different ribbon and flower.

Aren't they awesome? Or is it just me?
I loooooove them even more now and nobody has called them ugly since. 
My mission is accomplished!

Do you get as excited as I do about ugly decor?

Thanks for stopping by, you know I appreciate it!
I hope to see you soon fellow webbers.


Tschüß

(Youleeya)



You can also enter your email address below 
to hear more from me!
(but don't forget to verify the subscription by clicking on the link in the verification email 
which might have landed in your spam folder)



Delivered by FeedBurner









32 comments :

  1. Your fabulous re-dos are inspiring! So glad I found your blog. All from a Google search "how to refinish brass lamps"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, they are awesome! With their great shape, I knew they were going to look great painted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have never guessed you could make something so pretty from something so hideous! I love it w/the pink!

    PS...you might want to turn off your word verification. You might get more comments. Sometimes bloggers don't realize it's on. I didn't until someone informed me. Just sayin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I didn't know that it was turned on and changed that right away ;)

      Delete
  4. Beautiful job - and I absolutely love the dresser they are sitting on!
    Your newest follower - would love to have you come by and follow back
    ( when you can )
    Big hugs,
    Suzan

    ReplyDelete
  5. fabulous job Julia I have a lamp habit too lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Lamps, shoes and purses, right? LOL

      Delete
  6. Love them! I love to get a lamp and spray paint...I'm running out of room!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! you had some serious vision with these! they look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just saw these featured on Better After and wanted to say how fabulous I think they are. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Me too, Julia....just seen you on Better After. I plan on setting some time aside to browse through your archives. Can't wait! Looking forward to following your journey. H :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love! Now I feel the urge to go searching for ugly lamps! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and good luck with your search ;)

      Delete
  11. I was very happy to find this site. I want to to thank you for ones time due to this wonderful read!

    ! I definitely enjoyed every bit of it and i also have you bookmarked to
    look at new things on your site.
    My page ; Buffet lamps

    ReplyDelete
  12. Julia, LOVE it! so happy you entered The Next Hone Show Designer Contest! Welcome

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi. First visit to your blog - love it. How did you achieve that silver finish on the dresser? thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      I guess I will have to write a post about the silver dresser. I have gotten so many requests!

      Delete
  14. I think you are so clever and creative. You inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I actually was just considering this particular.. if you find out there
    let me personally realize.. thank you!

    my site; rapid fat burning product

    ReplyDelete
  16. How amazingly awesome are those?!?! Love it!! I just bought some ugly lamps at a garage sale for $1 a piece. I can't wait to fix them up!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the lamps, I wish I had your "vision" to see ugly things transformed into something great!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Replies
    1. Thank you. So many people have told me they like the before better :(

      Delete

Thank you so much for your comments!
Don't hesitate to share your thoughts, I love to hear your from you.
If you are having problems leaving a comment please let me know per email, or leave a comment on my Facebook page.

If you are wondering why I sometimes don't reply to every comment, well it is because if you aren't a no-reply profile then I will email you back instead of replying to your comment on my page!